Technical Assistance for Self-Directed and Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS)
New Editions provides technical assistance to state agencies on home and community-based services (HCBS) mechanisms, program design, service delivery systems and self-direction services. Under contract with the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), New Editions specifically provides assistance to states seeking to develop or improve HCBS under a variety of channels: Sections 1915(c) and 1115 waivers and Sections 1915(i), 1915(j) or 1915(k) State Plan Amendments. Technical assistance includes:
- Determining which HCBS authority is most appropriate.
- Designing an integrated HCBS program such as:
- Community supports for people with disabilities;
- Supported employment;
- Individual budgeting;
- Person-centered systems;
- Establishment of a fair and equitable level of need assessment;
- Positive behavioral supports; and
- Development of structures to create community integration.
- Integrating HCBS authorities and managed care.
- Creating new and improved rate structures or managed care delivery systems.
- Providing self-direction services and technical assistance such as:
- Permissible purchases; and
- Individual budget development strategies and fiscal management services.
Focus or Topic