By Stephanie Mensh
During May, which is National Stroke Awareness Month, the American Stroke Association strives to educate the public that stroke is the leading cause of serious, long term disability. Here are some important statistics:
- Strokes kill more than 133,000 Americans annually
- Each year, about as many Americans have a stroke as a heart attack
- High blood pressure is the most important controllable risk factor for stroke
- 44% more young Americans were hospitalized due to stroke in the last decade
- 73% of young Americans are not familiar with stroke symptoms and the need for urgent medical attention.
Stroke is a medical emergency. F.A.S.T is one way to remember the symptoms of stroke:
F is for FACE
Ask the person to smile. Does one...